Menu

A Love Letter Filled With Hate.

September 30, 2016 - BOYS n' BROKEN HEARTS, GIRLHOOD
A Love Letter Filled With Hate.

Dear Lover Boy,

Your vanilla essence enticed me. Captured me. A touch so soft but so firm left me enraptured. Skin gleaming from harmful UV rays bouncing of your thick layer of sunscreen. Muscles, sculpted to my liking. Oh boy! I heard the church bells ringing already. You had me wrapped around your finger. The Hershey’s bar you’ve been missing out on your whole life. I melted in your hands, a pool of the cocoa mass, cocoa butter, sugar and a fun time. We were like cookies n’ cream cattered to every sweet tooth. Inseparable , finger-licking good, may cause cavities and most of all a bliss concoction that has been helping teenagers and adults get through breakups since 1976.

But funny enough, there was no amount of sweet dessert that could cure me of you. Out of my mind. My heart. My body. So many cavities, tooth aches almost as brutal as my heart aches. Picture perfect, we were captured solely by one image but past the photo lies you and your accessory , some would even say your bitch. Like a disposable plate, used, thrown away, forgotten. You took my voice, my pride, my sense of self-worth before I realized it was gone. I depended on you to love me, cause I knew I couldn’t love myself. I survived on intimacy, not always of the physical kind but of the emotional, mental kind, that’s all I thought I had. Congratulations! You managed to romance me to the point of blindness, deafness, and  worthlessness.

To what lengths would I have gone to keep you? Somewhere in the midst of self-hate, what was thought to be imperfections, tears, screams, and anger, I found infinite beauty in myself. Broken but desperately put back together, I stand independent , unshaken, empowered. Words like that roll so easily off my tongue, but now I struggle to even whisper, “I love you”, but don’t worry your wrong doing only made me stronger, my voice is now a roar, I have redeemed myself. The journey of my evolution has just begun. I am a warrior, some would even say a veteran, I wear your scares proudly, they are now apart of me. Even though, you were my greatest downfall, I have found somewhere in my heart to appreciate your contributions to who I am now. I forgive you.

Love,

Your favourite chocolate girl

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/c2/ee/40/c2ee401a65decf0c86b53036248e9381.jpg

6 thoughts on “A Love Letter Filled With Hate.

tianaw870

This was beautiful. The first line had me hooked and I couldn’t stop reading from there. I love your voice and the emotion behind this piece!

Reply
jadeb2000

Dear Kemi,

Man, did I love reading this. I’d first like to commend you on incorporating humour into this piece, while also exploring a real, raw issue. I got the best of both worlds reading it! That first paragraph really had me giggling, especially the part that goes, “The Hershey’s bar you’ve been missing out on your whole life. I melted in your hands , a pool of the cocoa mass, cocoa butter, sugar and a fun time.” What a unique metaphor!

And then you really hit your readers with something powerful when you said “Picture perfect, we were captured solely by one image but past the photo lies you and your accessory , some would even say your bitch. Like a disposable plate, used, thrown away, forgotten. You took my voice, my pride, my sense of self-worth before I realized it was gone.” These words right here are so poignant, and so heartbreakingly true. It’s a shame when a person that should have taking care of you leaves you feeling worthless instead. I feel like we’ve all been there at some point. And I don’t think this idea applies to just romantic relationships either. It applies to anyone who has ever treated you like you aren’t human–like you are something to be disposed of and nothing more.

But this piece also shows us how it’s possible to put ourselves back together when you’ve been broken by someone. The ending is so empowering to read, especially if you’re a woman. We have two choices in life: to stay on the ground when someone has pushed us down or to get back up, fight when we need to, and let our hardships help us build resilience. Thank you for sharing these motivational ideas. The positivity you’ve given to the world through this piece is truly remarkable.

I would also encourage you just to check for grammatical errors, as I noticed a few spelling/puncation mistakes.

Also–LOVE the letter formatting. Makes it more personal.

But wow. What a pleasure it was to read this. I can’t wait to see what you will write in the future. I know I look forward to reading more of your work, especially pieces as inspirational as this one.

Never stop writing,
Jade

Reply
ashz

OMG!! I love this! My favorite line was “I depended on you to love me, cause I knew I couldn’t love myself”-what an amazing quote! I really like your writing style and I am so gonna read more of it. I personally love the way you write about your views on romance. I noticed you started off as the victim of your own story, victimizing yourself to the point that you made us readers pity you and hate “Hershey Boy”-(the conflict of your story). But then, that last concluding paragraph is the way you recover from being the victim, and all of a sudden you’re this grand, courageous figure that your readers will most probably look up to by the end of your story. The recovery section of your bad romance leaves the readers with inspiration and enlightenment. Perfect way to end the story!
So I basically really loved the transition that took place in the story; how you went from Victim to Warrior. And it related to me on a personal level so good job!

Can’t wait to read more of your writing,

Sandi

Reply
safiya101

Beautiful piece!!!! I loved your use of food as a way to describe who you are. Transition were really great too and it flowed in a poetic way too. Loved this and i think it only had one grammar mistake.

Reply
aliza6634

Wow this was such a unique piece. I loved how you started with ” Dear Lover Boy ‘ it got me hooked right from the start. Also I loved all of the metaphors you used I feel like they really captured all the emotion in this piece.

Reply
alyshamhd

Dear Kemi,

I just wanted to comment on your beautiful use of imagery throughout this piece. This is probably one of my favourite things you’ve ever written, and I think that’s because of the detail you put into it.

My favourite line is, “Inseparable , finger-licking good, may cause cavities and most of all a bliss concoction that has been helping teenagers and adults get through breakups since 1976.” It spoke to the typicality of love that age and time can never really alter.

I’ve seen you grow so much as a writer and I just love your style.

With love,
Alysha

Reply